The inaugural GameWorks Showdown has come to a close. Over the course of five weeks, with three points rounds, a regional championship at all seven GameWorks locations, a Last Chance Qualifier, and the Grand Finals in Las Vegas, nearly 1000 SMASH gamers completed for a chance to win a piece of $25,000 in cash and prizes. Congratulations to all who participated, KEEP SMASHING!
Scroll down for more Showdown info
Official Platinum Sponsor - Cougar
COUGAR Armor is the perfect seat for professional level gamers. This swivelling gaming chair is a fully adjustable throne that will satisfy the most demanding gamers. With a steel frame, high-quality components for extrdurability and loads of options to fine tune it to your needs, COUGAR Armor is ready for battle.
Showdown is a multi-stage tournament taking place over approximately two months.
- Qualifier Points Rounds will be held weekly at each location for a duration of three weeks starting May 12th and will award circuit point for that location based on final placings. After this period, the top 14 players will advance to that location’s specific Regional Finals.
- The Regional Last Chance Qualifiers will be held in all locations on June 7th and open to all competitors with the top two advancing to the Regional Finals
- The Regional Finals will be held in all locations on June 9th consist of the 14 highest ranked players from the Qualifier Points Rounds and the top 2 from the Regional Last Chance Qualifier in a 16-player bracket. This will be a one day event where the winner will be invited to the Grand Finals Event.
- The Grand Finals Last Chance Qualifier will be held in the GameWorks Las Vegas location only on June 28th and be open to all competitors with the Winner earning a spot in the Grand Finals
- The Grand Finals Event will consist of the winners from each of the seven locations’ Regional Finals and the winner of the Grand Finals Last Chance Qualifier in an 8-player bracket. This event will be broadcast both online and in-person to a live audience. This will determine the champion of Showdown.
Prizing Breakdown Per Round/Stage of the Event
All money prizing will be awarded on the following percentage breakdowns for all stages of the event. This includes both the set prize money pools listed below as well as entry fee pool per week per location. Tiebreak matches will be played per the Tiebreak rules as needed to have clear finishing positions
1st place 50%
2nd place 21%
3rd place 12.5%
4th place 6.5%
5th place 3%
6th place 3%
7th place 2%
8th place 2%
Total Prizing Per Round
- Grand Finals 10k Cash pool and the winner also receives an Alienware Area- 51M
- Grand Finals LCQ $700 cash pool plus Entry fee pool as well the Winner earns the the final spot for the next days Grand Finals
- Regional Finals $1000 cash pool per GameWorks Location plus the Winner earns paid flight and lodging from GameWorks for the Grand Finals. See notes below for more specific rules to this prize.
- Regional LCQ $200 cash pool Entry fee pool per GameWorks Location as well the top 2 finishers earn the final spots in the Regional Finals.
- Regional Points Rounds PER WEEK $400 cash pool plus Entry fee pool per week
SPECIFIC RULES REGARDING TRAVEL AND LODGING AWARDED BY GAMEWORKS, More specifics will be added as event continues and details finalized
- Players that qualify for the Grand Finals and have earned the trip to Las Vegas will have the following items provided
Airfare will be supplied from closest major airport to the GameWorks location where the player qualified to Las Vegas. If a player is from outside of that area then the qualified player would be responsible to get to that airport to fly to Las Vegas. No Exceptions. International players are responsible for all of their own Visas, passports and transportation costs to the respective airport needed. Example: would be if someone qualified in Seattle GameWorks but lives in Portland the ticket for airfare would be from SeaTac airport to Las Vegas and the player from Portland would be responsible to get to SeaTac for travel.
Minors (under 18) that qualify will be required to travel with a Chaperone. The Chaperone is responsible for their own flights. We will be able to have you share a room with the Chaperone listed as the room owner with the qualified minor player. GameWorks will work with the Chaperone as best as possible to coordinate air travel together however there is no guarantee. So please do not sign up if this will be an issue. More details in the Parent sign off form.
- Hotel rooms will be booked and provided to each of the Regional Winners at no cost for the room
- The winners however will still be required to put the standard refundable incidental deposit down at check in as well as cover the entertainment check in guest fees applied at Las Vegas hotels. For minors the chaperones will need to cover these charges to be able to check in.
- The winners also take any and all responsibility for costs associated but not limited to , damage, extra food service, hotel services outside of the standard room charge, any fees pertaining to in room fridge/beverage costs.
- 3 meals per day will be provided for the Qualified players during the Event Days.
- If someone has special or specific eating restrictions then they must let us know as we are booking the reservations
- Players are responsible for their own snacks and after hour meals as well as any food and beverage during travel days
- No credits will be given is a player chooses not to have a meal
- Local transportation to and from the Las Vegas Airport will be provided upon arrival and for departure from Las Vegas
- Local transportation from the hotel to the GameWorks location and from the GameWorks location back to the hotel will be provided on days required for the player to be in attendance.
- Player is responsible for any other transportation costs and logistics during the Event
More details on all of these items will be provided directly to the qualified players after they qualify for the Grand Finals
Qualifier Point Rounds
- PLAYERS MUST REGISTER FOR EACH WEEK INDIVIDUALLY THAT THEY WISH TO PARTICIPATE IN
- PLAYERS ARE RESPONSIBLE TO VERIFY THEY ARE REGISTERING IN THE CORRECT LOCATION
- REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT ONLINE IS MANDATORY THROUGH SMASH.GG, THERE WILL BE NO ONSITE, DAY OF, OR LATE REGISTRATION
- PLAYERS DO NOT HAVE TO COMPETE IN ALL 3 WEEKS TO ADVANCE
- PLAYERS MAY ONLY COMPETE IN ONE REGION FOR THE POINTS ROUNDS AND MAY NOT CHANGE ONCE REGISTERED
The Qualifier Point Rounds (hereby referred to as “Points Rounds”) will take place over three weeks
- May 12th Week 1 in all locations
- May 19th Week 2 in all locations
- May 26th Week 3 in all locations
These events will be double elimination tournaments with no cap.
Approximate start time for these weeks will be 10:00 am local time to each location with check in prior. The rounds will play until we are completed with the event for the day and will be determined at each location based on how many participants register. The exact timeline and match schedule will be finalized and posted once registration for each week is closed.
- Any player that can not complete the full day of play or does not show up will be forfeit with no refunds.
Qualifier Points Awards
Participants will be awarded points each week based on their final placement in the event. Points awarded are as follows:
- 1st: 350 pts
- 2nd: 275 pts
- 3rd: 225 pts
- 4th: 185 pts
- 5th (tie): 150 pts
- 7th (tie): 115 pts
- 9th (tie): 95 pts
- 13th (tie): 75 pts
- 17th (tie): 60 pts
- 25th (tie): 45 pts
- 33rd (tie): 35 pts
- 49th (tie): 25 pts
- 65th (tie): 15 pts
- 97th (tie): 5 pts
- 129th (tie): 2 pts
193rd (tie): 1 pt
- Following the third Points Round event on May 26th all points from all 3 weeks in a region will be totaled and the top 14 players based on overall cumulative points in each region over the 3 weeks will be invited to the Regional Finals
- In the case that the 14th and 15th ranked players are tied, they will play a best-of-three match after the event to determine who qualifies for the Regional Finals.
- If this cannot take place following the third Points Round event, it must take place at the next available date prior to the Regional LCQ on June 7th at GameWorks and be supervised by an administrator.
- If a participant can't complete the tiebreaker by this date they will forfeit and the remaining player will move on.
- In the case that three or more players are tied, they will play a round robin.